Saturday 5 January 2013

Three hundred and sixty

Good morning

I finished reading Ewan Morrison's Close Your Eyes last night but I didn't put it down for a few minutes after the last word. I just pressed it to my face with my eyes closed. Pat Kane in the Independent wrote: "Indeed, the whole of Close Your Eyes is an admirable and intimate wrestling with the damages incurred by trying to heal, as Adorno once called modernity, "a damaged life"."

It's a haunter that one, no mistake, in the same way that Tim Winton's The Riders is a haunter, and a book I need to revisit after about 20 years of it sitting on my shelves.

After I had a bit of a think about Close Your Eyes and that I couldn't possivbly get to sleep with that in my head, I picked up another birthday / Christmas present book: Camp David the autobiography of David Walliams.
I have had a bit of a crush on David Walliams since I first saw Little Britain - I had seen him in other stuff (Black Books etc) before and clocked him, but only developed the crush after seeing Emily Howard. I had a dream years ago that I was at a posh function somewhere and David Walliams was near the punch bowl, we exchanged steamy looks across the crowded room and I got all hot and bothered and then woke up.
Anyway, its only 12 hours since I picked the book up and I'm close to half way through - and I slept for a good 8 of those hours, so that gives you and indication of the ease of the read style - also its a big hard cover book with a 14pt font for the myopic among as.
While writing this I just noticed that the Keith Richards book, Life, that I started before Christmas is sitting forgotten on my desk under a copy of 1001 Albums you must hear before you die - life before death, music before life and death. Or something.

I ran again this morning for about 3km. Well, ran and walked with the aid of the C25K program - I am at day 2 week three so its longer running sections and shorter walking ones, which is coming as a bit of a relief because I don't slow the treadmill for the walking bits and have realised that at a pace of 6km - 6.5km an hour it is much easier to run than to walk. I am feeling my legs getting stronger again and my fitness is certainly increasing, I am finding it easier to get into and don't really want to stop after 30 minutes. Today I jumped off the treadie and did a few sit ups at the end. I have little or no core strength and sit ups are like some sort of torture. But I have had success in the past with V lifts and planking and what not, so I will persist.
If I didn't have a bloody deadline to write a strategic plan for 5 home and community care providers which I MUST work on today, I would pull my old bike out of the shed, pump up the tyres, rehome the spiders and go for a bit of a ride.
I might do that anyway, its too nice outside to stay in here all day tapping away like a crab.

No comments:

Post a Comment